Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We will miss you Candice Rialson

Code Red DVD

Unhappy We will miss you Candice Rialson

We here at Code Red regret to inform everyone that actress Candice Rialson, who graced our screen in HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD, CHATTERBOX, EIGER SANCTION, SUMMER SCHOOL TEACHERS and PETS, have passed away. We have been searching for her in hopes of interviewing her for our DVD release of PETS and our extra producer Walter Olsen, finally tracked down her phone number. He spoke with her husband, who informed my brother that she passed away March 31, 2006.

We were both shocked, and was in total disbelief, so we did a death certificate check on the web, and there it was, a death certificate for her, under her married name, which listed March 2006 as her death.

We are totally shocked and speechless currently, and not sure what to do. Many was telling us extras do not matter, but we want to do extras, to preserve these forgotten talents for future generation, and now we will never know if she would have granted us an interview or not. No matter what her answer would be, now she will never give us her thoughts, her stories, ever. And we could never tell her how much she meant to us.

We were in touch with so many people who worked with her, long time personal friends like Robert Forster, Dick Miller, Mardi Rustam, and we recently spoke with Tom DiSimone, Bruce Cohn Curtis, and they always spoke nothing but the best about her, and now we could never tell her how much they all would like to see her again.

What is almost stunning is she has been dead for more than 4 month, and there have been no report whatsoever on her passing. To think Hollywood has neglected this stunning beauty's death to me, is horrid.

I really do not know what else to say. My webmaster Brad, has changed our website, in tribute to her. May she rest in peace.

Bill

Re: We will miss you Candice Rialson

Rest in Peace, Chatterbox. This is profoundly stunning and depressing! What the heck did she have?

That's sad. I thought she added a lot to any movie she appeared in. She was a natural. After not hearing about her for awhile, back in the day, I was surprised to see a photo of her in the Weekly World News (!), circa 1984. Then she totally fell off the radar.
    Didn't Tarantino say that Bridget Fonda's character in Jackie Brown was inspired by Candice? Time to dig out my copy of Hollywood Boulevard. Rest in peace...

You just totally bummed me out.
    CINEMA SEWER MAGAZINE
    www.cinemasewer.com

Smell the Magic

Another one gone before she could be contacted and appreciated.

That's a damn shame! I've enjoyed all of her movies, have watched some of them over and over again, and always hoped to see her at a convention so I could tell her so.

I encourage Code Red to go forward with a featurette on Candice. Maybe something similar to The Cult Film Legacy of Lynn Lowry on the Crazies DVD.

As if another huge terrorist plot and heavy rain weren't enough today ...

Great,beauitful actress with a flair for comedy-I never understood why she didnt become a big star.I remember seeing "Hollwood blvd" and "Great Texas Dynamite chase"(with Claudia jennings- another talent gone way too soon)on the same bill when I was in high school.How old was Candice and what was the cause of death?

Salvage Consultant Jeff Mclachlan's Avatar

Wow.

By sheer coincidence I've been obsessing over Candice Rialson for the last few days, after borrowing a friend's dvd of Hollywood Boulevard ( the theme song for which has been running on a loop through my brain ever since watching it again)and listening to the commentary for the first time. The movie's always been a favorite of mine, maybe as much for the context it was made than for the actual content, but I always thought Rialson gave a great, fun performance, particularly in the drive-in scene, where it looks like she does a little improv with Dick Miller.

I'm going to rent Pets, Chatterbox and whichever of the Nurses or Teachers movies she was in over the weekend and have a little Candice fest.

Gee, I hope Roberta Collins is in good health---she's another one of my favorites, along with Claudia Jennings, who had an even shorter life than Rialson.

Sweet Talking Candy Man Ted Cogswell's Avatar

I've posted a round-up of some of the online tributes that have appeared today at my blog.

Can someone list all of the films that are readily avaialable on DVD that Candice was in?

Thanks.

M.
    First we take Manhattan...then we take Berlin.

Registered User John M. Bernhard's Avatar

As far as I can tell:
    HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD & CANDY STRIPE NURSES are 2 available where she has alot of screen time. The sleazey diamond in the rough PETS is forthcoming from Code Red. Sadly, her other lead roles ( CHATTERBOX, MAMA'S DIRTY GIRLS and SUMMER SCHOOL TEACHERS ) are MIA on DVD.
    Other available DVD's in which she appears are:
    THE EIGER SANCTION ( brief but memorable )
    blink and you'll miss her
    WINTER KILLS
    SILIENT MOVIE
    LOGAN'S RUN
    She was also briefly in MOONSHINE COUNTY EXPRESS and STUNTS which are not available ( although I think STUNTS got bootlegged by Treeline a few years ago ),
    and several mid 70's TV episodes ( see IMDB ).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John M. Bernhard; 08-11-2006 at 02:02 PM.

There are grey market options for Chatterbox and Mama's Dirty Girls.

Summer School Teachers was released on VHS many years ago, so it can be found with some searching. I don't know why New Concorde never released the two "Teachers" movies on dvd along with the Nurse flicks.

...or die tryin! Marc Edward Heuck's Avatar

I can only hope that Joe Dante has told Roger Corman and that maybe he'll get Disney to fast-track a few of her titles onto DVD.
    "What can I say that hasn't already been said by hundreds of panting men with no last names?"

The beginning of HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD seems so sad now. The mixture of Candice's optimistic smile and that bittersweet song. I watched it last night and thought it was too sad to continue. RIP Candice.

UPDATE --- FROM CODE RED DVD ---

Bill from Code Red just posted some more information on their MySpace blog regarding the circumstances of Candice's death. Bill writes, "My brother, Walter Olsen, spoke with Candice's husbands brother today. He was told the cause of death was liver disease. Apperently her liver got infected. He told Walter she was cremated, as that was her wishes. He told Walter near the end she was still in good mood, cracking jokes." And then the post takes a truly heartbreaking turn. Bill continues, "He asked him about if she wanted nothing to do with her acting past,as there was no obituary, and no news in the trade papers. No, as Candice and her family has all her films on video, and she talked about her film career to them all the time, and told Walter she would have been honored and more than happy to do a on camera interview and a commentary for the PETS DVD. Near the end, she was still talking about her days in Hollywood to her close friends and family. Sadly, she didn't know she still had fans. Fighting back the tears, Walter asked if he can make a retrospective documentary regarding Candices life, in which he replied Candice would have loved that, as she would have wanted to be remembered, as Walt's been invited to visit them next time he is in California."

It is very sad that Candy died without knowing that so many people remembered her so fondly, and this confirms that the lack of notice of her passing was not by choice, but by a tragic lack of interest by Hollywood and the film industry. It sounds like Code Red is already planning a video tribute to her, presumably to be included on the forthcoming Pets dvd. I wouldn't have thought that this story could have gotten any sadder, but this news just puts an extra depressing twist on things.

Special thanks to Bill and Walter at Code Red for getting the details out to all of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast