Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you guys watch films more than ONCE in the cinema?

Do you guys watch films more than ONCE in the cinema?

I was browsing another site where people were bragging that they had seen the new Superman movie 3 or 4 times already in the cinema.

Just wondering if you guys go and see a film more than once in the cinema........or make it a habit to do so?

What films?

I think I have seen STAR WARS 3 times in the cinema but that's over nearly a 30 year period (and a couple of revivals). I'm really talking about new releases.......can't really fathom how someone would see a new film five times in a week but what do I know.

Opinions/Thoughts.

Registered Users Horace Cordier's Avatar

Re: Do you guys watch films more than ONCE in the cinema?

Very rarely nowadays.

When I was younger I did. For instance, I've seen ALL THAT JAZZ about 15 times. My best friend was obsessed with Roy Scheider at the time and he saw it 50!! times and dragged me along for 15 of those. I do love the film though, btw.

The only recent film I saw more than once in the theatre was A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, and that was because I had a friend that really wanted to see it with me after I'd already gone. I was glad to in that case because I thought it was a great movie.

Now, especially with dvd and the fast turnaround on theatrical to disc I see no reason to. If I like the film enough, I'll buy the dvd (and usually get bonus material, right?). I also generally dislike the theatre experience (commercials, loudmouths, etc ad nauseum).
    "On your feet, or on your knees"

I think it has happend twice in my entire life - David Lynch´s WILD AT HEART and the Coen´s BARTON FINK... I really cant see the point in watching films more than once in the theater, but I can understand why some poeple would do it... I would only do it, if I REALLY wanted to show some friend a film I liked....
    En god banan!

What's a cinema?

But seriously, like Horace, I so seldom go to the cinema anymore (unless there's something that I really want to see on the big screen, like the up-coming Bond film) for many of the same reasons Horace cited. I have nearly zero tolerance for the unconscionable behaviour that is allowed in cinemas these days...

But back in the day, when I was younger and was in a cinema-going frame of mind, I saw Peter Jackson's BRAIN DEAD something like eight or nine times theatrically! But outside of that, I can't remember the last film I saw more than once at the movies...wait...no, it's gone...

Nothing wrong with going to see something you drew enjoyment from multiple times though -- I'm sure many of us go and see the same bands numerous times because we like them (even though the likelihood of wildly different performances or set-lists is admittedly pretty slim).
    Last edited by Mike T; 07-04-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Send lawyers guns & money Howard Farmer's Avatar

It's been a long time but in the pre-home video days it wasn't unusual. I saw Up In Smoke more times than I can count. (20?-30?) Dirty Harry, Play Misty For Me, High Plains Drifter, The Wild Bunch were all movies I watched multiple times. Beatles movies, Hendrix movies, The Song Remains The Same, pre-cable TV there was pretty much no other way. So yes, like we watch our favorite DVDs from time to time there were movies I'd see 6 or 8 times over a span of a few years. Generally if it had John Wayne or Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson or tits or bloody shootouts we'd go see it as often as we could.
    Is that a real poncho . . . I mean is that a Mexican poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

I very rarely ever even go to the cinema anymore and generally don't watch films more than once. Recent exceptions include LAND OF THE DEAD which I saw 4 times to try to support it as much as I could. Also, I saw the double screening of MURDER-SET-PIECES and CHAOS twice in order to try to support independent horror in my area.
    -- Lionsgate is to horror as Trivium is to metal --

I don't go to theaters anymore unless it's to take my Daughter or to go to the opening weekend when a new "Harry Potter" film is released. That's become a kinda tradition in our family. I just wait for stuff to hit DVD nowadays. Back when I was a teenager, it was different. Like Howard, I saw "Up In Smoke" on multiple nights and when "The Warriors" was released, we went to the cinema 5 nights in a row to see it but that's really it.

I saw the Lord of the Rings movies a couple of times each in the theater, but thats the first time since I was a kid. Even then I only recall a few: COMING TO AMERICA, DIE HARD, CLASH OF THE TITANS, and ROBOCOP (three times).

It's usually the case that others I know want to see a movie I've already seen and I'm willing to watch it again... I can't think of a case when I specifically went out to see a movie more than once, especially with the outrageous ticket prices these days. My record is three times... if I can remember, these are the films...

KILL BILL VOLUME 2
    LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
    THE DEVIL'S REJECTS

You had me at balls. Elske McCain's Avatar

I saw Scream 10 times; JFK and Alive I saw both 3 times.

I saw BATMAN BEGINS three times at the cinema and I think I saw TITANIC four times. As you can tell, it's not really a habit for me.

I saw TRAINSPOTTING a good 12 times at the dollar cinema, I think I saw SCREAM 7 times and the first AUSTIN POWERS 5 times.
    "what'd the hurricane say to the palm tree? hold onto your nuts, it's gonna be a helluva blowjob"

It's rare for me to go to the theater at all let alone to see a film more than once. The last film I saw multiple times on the big screen was FIGHT CLUB. I wound up seeing it 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Cordier
    Very rarely nowadays.
    Same here. I also saw "Wild At Heart" 2 times, and - believe it or not - also "Alien 3", since I just had to see it again to believe how different it was from the first two.. I guess there are few others.

I have no huge desire to see these new films two times, since I want to wait for the DVD-release anyway.

Swedish Joe hasbeen Christoffer S's Avatar

No. Not since like I was a kid no.
    Sweet - Sweeter - Swedish!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast