Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Thread: Who Killed Teddy Bear

Who Killed Teddy Bear

I have been trying to find one of my favorite trash flicks on DVD. It’s called “ Who Killed Teddy Bear” starring Sal Mineo and Juliet Prowse. It’s a great 60’s film!! Prowse is a go-go girl who works at a club run by lesbian Elaine Strich! who wants in her panties. Mineo plays a sexual psycho path that is stalking Prowse and making obscene phone calls to her. Prowse enlist the aid of Detective Jan Murray to catch the pervert. DEC. Murray meanwhile is unhealthily obsessed with sexual criminals!
    I was able to find a copy for sale on DVD for 30.00 on a site called Video Beat. Before I pluck down 30 bucks does anybody know if any major studio is planning release this film in the future remastered?

Ed R

"The True Enemy of Art Is Good Taste"- Pablo Picasso

Re: Who Killed Teddy Bear

I've seen this before many years ago on "The Late Show" and remember it being a really grimey, sleazy kind of film. I'd like to see it on DVD also!

Does anyone know who does the song, "It Coulda Been Me", that is featured in the movie?

I think a guy named Al Kasha composed it, a big time bubble gum music mogul and soundtrack composer. I could be wrong though...

I'm not sure who performed it .
    I'm at work and can't access some resources..
    Last edited by Phil B.; 05-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Throw It On The Grill!

The three songs in the film were co-written by songwriter Al Kasha and Bob Gaudio who at the time was both the key writer and a performing member of the Four Seasons. The rest of the score was written by Charles Calello who arranged for the Four Seasons and was also briefly a member of the group around the time this film was made.

No singer or performer credits on the film or on anything I can find. (I've seen the suggestion that the title song is sung by Joanie Sommers but nothing about who sings 'It Could Have Been Me'). My guess is that these were studio sessions produced from within the network of musicians around the Four Seasons and the scene they existed within. Be fascinating to know more.

None of the tracks used in the film seem to have been released commercially. Although the original publicity and promotion brochure included on the Network DVD suggests that the title song be used in publicity the only version I'm aware of - by Leslie Uggams on Atlantic - was recorded a couple of months after the films US release. Maybe there was a promotional pressing for use in publicising the film but if so it's left no trace I can discover, and given that the Four Seasons have an active fan base that makes it seem a bit unlikely. Love to know more if anyone knows.

Thanks for your feedback, Phil and Dave!

Dave summed up everything I could find (and more!).

Weldon made mention of it in his Psychotronic Encyclopedia, but only to say Al Kasha and Bob Gaudio had a hand in writing the songs.
    Throw It On The Grill!

Ed F., If you are still looking for a DVD of "Who Killed Teddy Bear?", Sinister Cinema has the dvd for sale on their web site for $16.95. I ordered it, and the dvd was quite satisfactory.

link below:

http://store.sinistercinema.com/pros...etail?no=18111

The last time I was in New York, I bought the Kims Video DVD-R of this and it won't play. I've had that problem with several of Kims videos and will no longer buy them as a result. I bought all the titles at the same time, and while WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR never played, the rest played for a while but eventually stopped playing. So I'm thinking they used some really cheap discs that degraded or something.

I suppose I should order the Sinister Cinema copy.

There's a very nice UK R2 DVD of this available from Network.
    SPECIAL FEATURES

Digitally remastered main feature from original film elements.

Court Martial: The House Where He Lived - an episode of the 1960s WWII legal drama guest-starring Sal Mineo and Anthony Quayle

LSD: Insight or Insanity? - a short documentary from the 1960s aimed at teenagers about the dangers of LSD with narration by Sal Mineo

Stills gallery for Who Killed Teddy Bear and Court Martial

PDF of the original publicity and promotion brochure

Trailer

Raving and Drooling Wayne Schmidt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave hartley View Post
    There's a very nice UK R2 DVD of this available from Network.
    I have that disc, it's a very strange transfer. The majority is snap sharp, but there are quite a few cuts that are REALLY soft. That might be the way the original negative is, or they had to "slug" those cuts with an inferior element. You can see the difference in the two shots below. Either way, it's still the best source out there. I read somewhere this version might be cut, but if it is I don't know what's missing.

Last edited by Wayne Schmidt; 05-13-2010 at 11:35 PM.